I’m the ultimate beauty junkie. I can’t get enough. Leave me alone in Sephora or CVS with a credit card, and I’m bound to leave with a big ol’ bag of goodies and credit card debt.
It took a while for me to find my beauty essentials, and a lot of trial and error took place. I remember back in 7th grade when everyone was using the Clinique 3 Step System, so I did too. It left my skin dry, red, and blemished, until I realized: it clearly wasn’t meant for me! Having sensitive skin, I needed something sans alcohol and gentle. I decided to buy a regular Dove Body Bar with built-in moisturizers, and my skin has never looked better. I’ve been using it every since. Likewise, I tried every shampoo and conditioner under the drugstore sun before landing on Frederik Fekkai’s Glossing line. Nothing has made my hair softer or shinier! Hooked. For. Life. And nothing has made me happier than finding Psssst! Dry Shampoo.
I realized that it’s imperative to find the right products for you based on the following: skin type, thickness and length of hair, how much make-up you like to wear, how much heat-styling you like to do, and overall coloring.
My profile is the following:
- Skin Type: Sensitive with a tendency to rouge. I
never rarely break out, and tend to be on the dry side.
- Hair- Thick, wavy, and long. Dries out if washed every day, but the roots can be a little sad without a daily boost. I love to heat-style, whether its a good blowout or full on curls.
- Make-Up: Beauty junkie and make-up junkie are typically synonymous. I like to wear a little bit of everything from foundation to liquid eyeliner on the daily.
- Coloring: Strawberry blonde locks, dark brown eyes, and fair skin. I tend to look best in warm, spring colors. You can take online tests to see which “season” or color palette works best for you, but the best way is to take note of what you feel sexiest in and what people compliment you in most. Use these colors when picking out makeup and clothing, and you can’t go wrong.
Whatever the product, I feel that in my late 20s, I’ve finally found what works for me. I’m sure the products will change in the future- as my skin begins to age and my hair thins out- but I’m currently set on my ways.
Here’s the skinny on some of my favorite products:
Step 1: Clean, Moisturize, and Soften
Dove Body Bar-
Because cleanliness is next to Godliness.
The most essential tip for staying beautiful is to keep your skin clean and happy. Dove is extremely gentle and my face appreciates it.
Nivea: On a recent trip to the UK, I met my 93 year old great aunt. Like all the
older beautiful women in my family, she had amazing skin. Not a wrinkle in sight! It was dewey, young, and radiated light. When I asked her secret she smiled and said, “I’ve always used Nivea, dahling.” Sold!
Eos beauty product
… and in a close second is the EOS. I love the packaging and the product makes my lips feel smooth and kissable.
Twice a week, I use this all over my body and face to exfoliate dead skin cells and soften my skin. It’s gentle and effective, and leaves my skin feeling delightfully fresh.
Ole Henriksen Blue/ Black Face Mask
– After an exfoliant, I always apply this hydrating mask to calm any redness and lock in moisture. The antioxidants freshen my skin and leave it dewey and baby-soft.
Burts Bees Cleansing Cloths:
Perfect when your on the go. I always keep them in my gym bag so I can take my make up off before working out. This helps prevent clogged pores and only takes a second. There’s no excuse to be lazy when there are cleansing cloths around!
Clinique Emergency Spot Remover- Once in a blue moon, I’ll get a small blemish. Nothing takes care of it quite like this acne medicine. Dab a little on a freshly washed face before bed, and wake up with perfect skin.
Step 2: Put on Your Face
Lancôme Color ID
: My mother has been using this for years, and her skin has always looked doll-like. It’s light enough to look natural, but provides adequate coverage for evening out the skin tone. The formula moisturizes my skin and provides SPF to keep it healthy and young.
– Perfectly natural looking and comes in array of colors. I teeter between Orgasm
, which are both peachy pinks.
Sephora Collection Sundisk Bronzer:
With the Sundisk bronzer, you get a lot of bang for your buck. It comes in a few different shades, so have an associate help you find which one is best for you. Lasts forever and looks very natural.
Maybelline Gel Liner
– My go-to liquid eyeliner. Looks great by itself, or layered over shadow. It stays put and is much more affordable than it’s department store counterparts. I almost always sweep on a
dramatic cat eye.
Lancôme Hypnose Drama
– Two coats of this award-winning mascara, and your eyes will pop! I’ve been using this mascara for years, and although I sometimes get lead astray, I always come back to it. It’s the perfect balance between natural and dramatic. Very sexy!
Urban Decay Naked:
Arguably the most universally flattering color palette around. Comes with several shades- some matte, some shimmery- ranging from a pinkish beige to a shimmery black. While not part of my everyday makeup routine, I use it to further highlight my eyes for a special occasion.
– Another favorite of mine! I love their lip products and some of my favorite colors are Belle du Jour and Baroque. Whether you’re into lipstick, crayons, or gloss, NARS is the way to go.
Step 3: Work Your Mane
John Frieda Frizz Ease Thermal Protection Serum
: I’ve tried other hair serums and frizz control products, but nothing beats the price or quality of this one. I use it after every wash to maintain sleekness and shine. It also doubles as a detangler!
Psssst! Dry shampoo
I wash my hair every other day to maintain moisture and shine. On those days when I’m skipping a wash, I find Pssst! Dry Shampoo essential to spray new life into my locks in a matter of seconds.