Last summer, Phil and I spent a couple days in Newport, Rhode Island to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. We were recreating the weekend he asked me out, and we stumbled upon an amazing restaurant overlooking the water. I rarely say that a salad is memorable, but the salad that we had at the The Mooring was downright delicious. It was so fresh and satisfying! If you get the chance to visit, we highly recommend it! Until then, here’s how to recreate the citrusy salad at home. We tweaked the recipe slightly to make it a little healthier and used the juice from the orange peels as dressing. You could top this with your own dressing or even a little EVOO and Red Wine Vinegar if you prefer, but it’s delicious as is!
What You’ll Need:
- 3 cups of romaine, roughly chopped.
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced.
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved.
- 1/2 cup cucumbers, diced.
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (we used low-fat.)
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts.
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced.
- 1 large orange, peeled and sectioned into slices. (Save the peel!)
- 1/4 cup pancetta.
- Rinse and chop all the vegetables. Toss in a salad bowl with feta cheese and alfalfa sprouts.
- Warm pancetta in a skillet on medium heat until cooked through. Add to salad.
- Peel and section the orange. Be careful to remove the membranes. Gently squeeze the juice from the peels over the salad.
- Serve with grilled chicken or fish. Enjoy!